Hurray, baby was born! And after this joy we are waiting for one more – the mystery of the second, spiritual birth of man. The Sacrament of Baptism is a holiday that happens only once in a lifetime.
Speech here will go about baptism Orthodox . Of course, this is something more than just a beautiful rite. Parents that are going to baptize a child in the Orthodox Church, first of all, it is necessary to learn about faith itself better – from spiritual books or from priests.
It is very important to choose caring, conscientious godparents , or receptors . These are people who, by faith, are baptizing children. They will be responsible to God for the spiritual education of their godson or godchild. According to the church canons, the godfather can only be Orthodox, a believer, necessarily a baptized person. Parents themselves can not be perceived by their child. But grandmothers, grandfathers, brothers and sisters are quite fit for this honorable “post”. In principle, the boy needs only the godfather, and the girl – only the godmother. However, the old Russian tradition invited both.
At least a week before the day that you chose, you need to negotiate for baptism in the church. It is very important to get acquainted with a priest who will baptize your son or daughter in advance – unless, of course, you are one of his regular parishioners. Ask him how many guests can be invited to the christening to see the rite, whether it is possible to conduct photo and video shooting; different fathers look at it in different ways. By the way, you can baptize a child at home, inviting the priest to him.
You will also need to decide with which name the child will be baptized. After all, the secular and ecclesiastical name of a person does not always coincide! For example, such accustomed to Russian rumor names, like Ruslan or Inna, are not found in Orthodox saints. In this case, as a rule, choose a name more or less in tune with secular. Say, Ruslan – Rostislav; Inna – John. Or a name close to the saints to the date of birth or baptism.
Now we are preparing the baptismal “dowry”. As a rule, for a ritual, you need:
– A cross with a chain with a chain. It does not need to be sanctified the day before – it happens during the very baptism.
– Large terry towel (better white). And, preferably, new. They wrap up the baby immediately after baptism.
– White outfit for the child. And the more beautiful, the better! Modest here is not worth it. If you baptize a little son or daughter in the cold season, then, of course, you must choose clothes warmer. The main thing is a snow-white color. Attention: in this beauty you dress up the baby already after how the priest “redeems” it. And before that the child can be dressed as usual.
– Small sachet. It will be necessary to lay down a small curly hair of the child, which the priest will cut out as a sign of the first sacrifice to God. It will be a family heirloom.
– Baby blanket. For toddlers under two years of age: it is good to put it on the changing table (in the baptismal it should be), so that it is possible to disguise the culprit of the celebration with comfort. And when it’s cold – just to warm the child after the font.
You also need to bring your child’s birth certificate and the documents of one of your parents. In addition, the godfather or godmother during the ritual will have to pronounce the Symbol of Faith (in common parlance this prayer is called “I believe”). And if they do not know it by heart, it is better to prepare and take with them to church a piece of paper with this text.
When you are going to church, do not forget your crosses. The godmother should have a soft (without lipstick) make-up, modest clothes (a skirt is better – but not a mini-than a trouser suit), a covered head …
The rite lasts about 45 minutes. They usually perform it in a baptismal – a special small and warm place in the church. Water in the font church servants are always warm, as for a normal children’s bath. Do not be afraid to entrust your child to the priest for immersion in the font – the priests do it very carefully.Parents and recipients do not have to fuss and be nervous at all; if you are calm, then the baby, most likely, will not cry. Although some Orthodox peoples have a belief that crying a baby at baptism is a very lucky sign!